[gobolinux-users] Boot from USB flash?

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Wed Apr 9 12:46:50 NZST 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 9:32 PM, Mike ZB <mzb at vfemail.net> wrote:

> I unpack the ISO, copy isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg if needed, and apply
>>>>

>>> Assuming your USB device is detected as /dev/sdb and that you have the
>>> ISO at the current directory, you just need to run:
>>>
>> $ dd if=GoboLinux-015_beta2-i686.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
>>
>>  (If only BIOS makers respected standards, instead of constantly playing
> pranks)
> My test box is particular about partitioning of USB drives - I don't dare
> "dd" and destroy the carefully crafted MBR. Should I wait for a more
> sophisticated initrd?

Hi Mike,

I don't intend to touch the initrd for the final release. Maybe you get it
to boot from USB by tweaking the isohybrid utility that ships with
SYSLINUX? We run it with no arguments by default ("isohybrid
/path/to/iso"). You will see that "isohybrid --help" gives you a number of
options to specify the geometry of the faked hard disk as well as some MBR
settings.

--
Lucas
"If you're looking for a reason I've a reason to give: pleasure, little