[gobolinux-users] GoboLinux 015 alpha.

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Thu Jan 30 09:09:00 NZDT 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Hisham <h at hisham.hm> wrote:

> On 29 January 2014 16:17, Jonas Neumann <gobolinux at tschanness.de> wrote:
> > Hey lucas,
> > Any news? Is there a way to help you out?
>
> Lucas is in a business trip this week, so he's probably not reading
> email as frequently. He contacted me earlier this week to see if I
> could help with the Grub issues, but I'm having trouble to get my QEMU
> environment up and running.
>
> Here's his latest work-in-progress ISO. This is not a release or
> pre-release! But if anyone would like to help out figuring out some of
> the pending bugs, this is the current state:
>
> http://lucasvr.gobolinux.org/gobolinux/GoboLinux-28Jan2014-i686.iso
>
> Thank you!
>
> -- Hisham

Thanks Hisham for sharing the link to the snapshot of the ISO. There are
several things addressed by this version, including support for LiveUSB
(it's just a matter of running 'dd if=file.iso of=/dev/usb_device'), fixes
to let the ISO boot on more platforms, and Installer-related issues.

We need specific help with the following two topics:
1) Getting rid of the MIME errors spawned by KDE
2) Fixing Grub

Grub is a bit funny. In order to support LiveUSB, we are processing the ISO
with a script that lets it be recognized as both a CD-ROM and as a hard
disk by the BIOS. The side-effect is that both the Installer and Grub
believe that /dev/sr0 (when booting from the CD) is a valid partition
target. I have put some workarounds in the Installer, so it doesn't list
/dev/sr0 as a target for the installation of the distro. Grub, however,
isn't so easy to fool.

There are some tricks which seem to make Grub happy. One of them is to
replace '/dev/root -> /dev/sr0' with '/dev/root ->
/dev/target_partition_for_gobolinux_installation'. It may be required to
rename /dev/sr0 to something else, too, such as /dev/_sr0, so that parted
doesn't have a handle to operate the CD-ROM device. I was playing with
hacks around this problem and saving them in
/Programs/Installer/Current/bin/Installer. Please take a look there if you
want to attack it.

KDE MIME errors should be much easier to fix. I have included strace in the
ISO, so you can modify ~/.xinitrc to launch xterm rather than startkde, for
example, and then invoke startkde with strace to debug the problem.

As Hisham said, I am quite busy this week and won't be actively working on
the ISO until I return to Brazil later next week. I may be available to
answer questions here on the list or on #gobolinux, though.

Thanks!

--
Lucas
"If you're looking for a reason I've a reason to give: pleasure, little