[gobolinux-users] Seting up a non-root installation

Anthony Frachioni afrachioni at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 12:51:10 NZDT 2014

Hello GoboLinux!

I've just found GoboLinux, and it appears to offer a useful way in which to
manage software in user space.  I am trying to build various things, and
have a couple questions:

-- First, my primary goal is to manage an assortment of free software
installed on a machine running Ubuntu (and possibly others) to which I do
not have root access.  GoboLinux seems well suited to this task, am I wrong
in this assessment?

-- Simply running InstallPackage without downloading the package beforehand
fails for all packages I've tried, presumably because the official
GoboLinux page is the only package mirror not down.  Is there a way to fix
this?

-- Any time I InstallPackage, I get the following message (even on apparent
success).  Maybe this isn't a problem, but it seems to suggest somebody is
trying to use root paths in a non-root installation.  Does it indicate a
problem with my installation?
/sbin/ldconfig.real: Can't create temporary cache file /etc/ld.so.cache~:
Permission denied

-- GCC installs, but the resulting executable is broken.  It cannot find
libgmp.so.3, which isn't there and is not created by installation of the
GMP package.  If I cheat a bit and soft-link libgmp.so.3 to libgmp.so.10 (this
is probably a very bad idea anyway), I get the message:
/usr/include/features.h:374:25: fatal error: sys/cdefs.h: No such file or
directory
This sounds bad.  As I am unable to get a working C compiler in Gobo-space,
the Compile script does not work (though it does appear to succeed at
finding recipes).  Is there any way to set the compiler used by Compile to
something else?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask such questions.

Anthony