[gobolinux-users] New install - boot, 'startx', freeze.

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Wed Apr 1 02:02:16 NZDT 2015

Hi Mark,

I'll have to install VirtualBox on my side to reproduce the problem. This
week is a very busy one for me, but I will do my best to give you some
advice on how to work around that issue soon.

Lucas

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Mark Filipak <markfilipak.linux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey Lucas,
>
> In addition to what I wrote below (especially see the end of this
> message == end of previous message), I have this:
> =====
> lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev
> 02)
> 00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]
> 00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
> VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
> 00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet
> Controller (rev 02)
> 00:04.0 System peripheral: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Guest
> Service
> 00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97
> Audio Controller (rev 01)
> 00:06.0 USB controller: Apple Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
> 00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 08)
> 00:0d.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E)
> SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 02)
> -----
> The above matches what 'lspci' outputs in my Linux Mint VM (which works
> fine).
> BTW, I'm running the latest VirtualBox.
> I don't want to give up on Gobo, but I'm pretty clueless. - Mark.
> =====
>
> On 03/26/2015 10:44 PM, Lucas C. Villa Real wrote:
> -snip-
> > The thing about Gobo trying to sniff out the VM is because Xorg's
> > automatic configuration either hangs when probing certain drivers or
> > produces settings that will not work when the host is under QEMU (at
> > least that is what my experience has shown). For that reason, we ship a
> > default xorg.conf that QEMU deals with just fine.
>
> "...default xorg.conf" ?????
>
> dingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingding
>
> I installed Gobo all 3 ways. I kept notes. The following is from my notes:
> =====
> Original '/System/Settings/X11/xorg.conf'...
>
> -- Selecting the "Base" package doesn't install X, so
> '/System/Settings/X11/' is empty.
>
> -- Selecting the 'Typical' package doesn't install
> '/System/Settings/X11/xorg.conf'.
>
> -- Selecting the 'Full' package doesn't install
> '/System/Settings/X11/xorg.conf'.
> =====
> Bottom line: Unless I create 'xorg.conf', it doesn't exist.
>
> > Now, I remember facing a similar problem before: the mouse would just
> > not work on QEMU for some weird reason. However, I noticed that by
> > forcing Udev to get device events from the kernel one more time
> > ("udevadm trigger"), the input device would then be discovered.
>
> Ahhhh.... I remember something similar in VMware many years ago. It was
> not sniffing the VM. It was sniffing the (virtualized) hardware. Lord...
> I can't remember the details. All I remember is that a VMware client
> [...]

Lucas
"If you're looking for a reason I've a reason to give: pleasure, little
treasure"