[gobolinux-users] New install - boot, 'startx', freeze.

Mark Filipak markfilipak.linux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 15:52:24 NZDT 2015

On 04/02/2015 03:14 PM, Lucas C. Villa Real wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> That's good news. Did you choose the Full installation profile?

Erm... Actually, it's not good news, Lucas. It's a step backwards. Where
before I could launch "startx" in the installed system, I can't launch
"startx" at all now. I especially don't understand this line: "xinit:
unable to connect to X server: Network is unreachable". The virtual
machine is bridged to the WiFi hardware, so I don't know why the Network
is unreachable, but I really can't understand what the network has to do
with the X server.

Full install? No, I did the "Typical" install.

To review:
1 - I could install the GoboLinux guest and then boot and launch
"startx". The resulting window would pop out in size going from 640x480
to 1024x768 -- these are approx -- indicating X was running, but with a
gray desktop (no volcanic cinder cones) with an immovable mouse cursor
in the center of the window. It seemed like X was running, but I
couldn't do anything, and for all intents and purposes, the machine
appeared to be locked (though someone who knew how to run Enlightenment
via keyboard may have been able to 'unfreeze' it.
2 - Then I installed the VBox Guest Additions into the live CD, prior to
installing the GoboLinux guest (as in #1), however, that made things
worse, not better. I couldn't "startx" at all, and was left at a command
line in a 640x480 display looking at the error messages below.

This is really discouraging.

-- Mark.