[gobolinux-users] Features ideas

Jean-Roch HUET jeanroch.huet at yahoo.fr
Fri Apr 3 23:57:19 NZDT 2015

Symlinks are different from ".lnk" files.

Symlinks exists on Windows too, but only since Windows Vista.
Il allows to redirect instructions for a folder to another (created for compatibility with previous versions, to remove the "Documents and Settings" folder, for instance). It's just like the "ls" of Linux.

.lnk is just a basic concept : il launchs the file when you click on it.
There's no redirection from instructions. It's easy to create on Linux.

Hiding its extension is just for visual comfort :
a beginner with an OS is disturbed by extensions when he discovers the OS.
- Step for step, he begins to understand that file extension defines the program which open the file (missing on Linux, but easy to create).
- But for him, a file without extension (but with an icon) is a shortcut. This is a standard habit.

After thinking about it, I think you're right concerning the .url files, it could be dangerous for the security (file which leads to a website with a virus, etc.).

Your idea of a screenshort to the page is good, but I don't think it could be done with a kernel module. This is more for the GUI itself, this is more the role of KDE than GoboLinux.

About the name restriction, limits are necessary (but only if they can be switched off, of course).
Limits allow to create standards, which allow compatibility...

This is a point of friction on Linux forums when I talk about it, but Linux certainly has a technical victory with its kernel, however Windows has a commercial victory with its number of users.

If we want to develop Linux, we have to step toward Windows direction to seduce users.
The great example is Android: the number of users brought developpers which increase the kernel a lot...

The number of Linux users has not increased despite of Ubuntu or any other versions. Windows remains the first one.
MacOSX has increased. For me, there are 2 reasons :
- Clarity of the system
- Games

More and more games are made for both DirectX and OpenGL (and a game made for MacOSX with OpenGL could be adapted on Linux easier than from Windows). It increases the number of MacOSX sold (despite of the price).

For me, main obstacle for Linux remains the FHS, that's why I think GoboLinux has the potential the other distrib lack...