[gobolinux-users] Fedora/RedHat is moving is a similar direction

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 06:23:15 NZST 2015

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 6:09 AM, Sergio Tortosa Benedito
<sertorbe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think they are the same in many ways, let me summarize those
> differences:
> - Gobo does not use bundles. Sure, our applications are contained inside one
> folder, but bundles are meant to be standalone (i.e:  do not need any
> dependencies), while our packages are not.

Ah, good point. But perhaps that makes sense for a more secure (not to
mention less error prone) system. When something is too big to bundle,
then one depends on secured services instead of shared libraries. That
the idea?

> - They plan to use snapshots, tying them to btrfs, something I don't like,
> as I find btrfs slow for desktops ( though I think my opensuse has it and I
> don't find slow at all)

I didn't catch this. And I don't like the sound of it either.

> - They want to have a fixed base (what they call runtimes) leading to
> greater use of disk space and (potientially) of RAM.

I didn't quite understand what they were talking about with runtimes.
Are these like Docker images?