[gobolinux-users] 64 bits?

Sergio Tortosa Benedito sertorbe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 01:32:46 NZDT 2015

> The reason remains the same as in other releases: we do not have enough
> manpower to do stuff. While we do have the best of the intentions, other
> stuff keep us busy.

It's OK, indeed I expected something more on the line of "we need support
of something, and it's too much" or "we indeed need to rewrite all of our
recipes".

> Just a few weeks ago Hisham and I exchanged a few words about scheduling
> some time to prepare a 64-bit release, but neither of us could get it
> started. From my side, I'm busy as hell with a few deadlines and cannot
> really commit to more deadlines, especially when it comes to a hobby
> project.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work (indeed, I envy that ability of having
lots of deadlines and not ending up in madness).

If you want to help, what really needs to be done is to get the patches
> that I wrote for ALFS (Automated Linux From Scratch) and apply them to the
> most recent snapshot of that code. Ideally, we should submit the code to
> the ALFS project so that we don't have to keep maintaining the patchset
> ourselves. Once the codebase is patched, we can look into building the base
> packages. The code and patches are hosted here:
>     http://svn.gobolinux.org/tools/trunk/GoboALFS
> If you are willing to try it, I suggest you edit the GoboALFS script and
> add a "exit 0" call to line 210. That will let you test the ALFS part of
> the script, which basically builds the list of base packages from Linux
> From Scratch using instructions from the LFS book.

I think I'll give it a try, I'll be reporting as I do.