[gobolinux-users] Recipe health status

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Mon May 15 12:30:15 NZST 2017

Hi all,

St├ęphane and I looked into the health status of our recipe store and wrote
a few scripts to identify the causes for each unreachable URL. The
following link contains a detailed analysis of each program we support (or
once supported) on the distro:

    http://lucasvr.gobolinux.org/gobolinux/health.html

Some interesting facts:

* Number of healthy recipes: 9729
* Number of broken recipes: 2634
* Number of recipes whose most recent version is broken: 1030
* It's not always the case that only URLs to oldest versions of a program
will be broken
* More often than not, URLs to release candidates and alpha/beta snapshots
will be removed from remote servers once a stable version is released
* The KDE project seems to have moved all their source packages around,
resulting in several broken recipes
* Projects hosted at freedesktop.org are quite good when it comes to
keeping their tarballs online on a well-known location
* We have recipes for several dead projects that shouldn't be around
anymore.

As part of this analysis, we started populating our mirror infrastructure
at GoboLinux.org. About 1600 recipes have been healed during that process.
Moreover, the URLs from approved recipes are being automatically mirrored
from now on on that same infrastructure.

I hope the list of broken recipes helps those wanting to contribute with
the distro. We're especially interested in fixing recipes whose most recent
version is broken.

Thanks!
Lucas